Saturday, March 5, 2011

The Devil is a Big Red Butthead

Yes, yes you read the title of this post correctly.  The devil is a big red butthead.  Austin shared these words of wisdom with his Mimi and I after I read him an excerpt out of his action Bible (if you have a kiddo that likes comics, then this is a must Bible for them). 

I think however, for everyone to truly understand this sentiment, I must go back a few weeks. 

Several weeks ago we had a fairly large fire in the field beside our house.  There was lots of black smoke and we could clearly see the volunteer firemen spraying the grass and trees down with water from our backyard.  This caused Austin a LOT of distress, so much so that I had to pack all 3 kids up and take them elsewhere.  Austin was probably the most upset, but Carson was taking a close second.  Once I got them calmed down enough to understand what he was saying, I was able to get out of him why he was SO incredibly upset.  It wasn't that the fire was close to our house or that he was really afraid it would burn our house down. 

He was convinced that the only way a fire could have started over in that field (it's not very accessible, it's about a half mile to the road from where our house borders the field to the nearest road) was that the devil was coming back and he was about to come up out of the ground where the fires were.  This just really shocked me and I got to thinking where did this line of thinking come from.  I realized though that ever since Austin started to school over at ACS, he has been reading the Bible more and they've been studying Acts this year and he enjoys coming home and telling me what they've been talking about.  Though where he'd been trying to read Revelation on his own, his imagination kind of filled in some holes that he didn't totally understand, thus starting his mantra that the devil is a butthead.

Then the other day, he had me reading a page out of his Action Bible, where the devil was tempting Jesus.  He repeated this verse after I read it to him, " Jesus said to him, “Away from me, Satan! For it is written: ‘Worship the Lord your God, and serve him only." Matt. 4:10.

He looked my right in the eye and said in his sweet Austin voice, if we only serve God, good things will happen.   And then as he's walking away from me he said, "Mimi the devil is just a big red butthead."

No comments: